home
Our Company For_Investors Newsroom For Authors For Vendors & Publishers Jobs Stores & Events

Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products. We operate nearly 700 Barnes & Noble bookstores in 50 states, and one of the Web’s largest e-commerce sites, BN.com (www.bn.com). Our NOOK Media LLC subsidiary is a leader in the emerging digital reading and digital education markets. The NOOK® digital business offers award-winning NOOK products and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content through the NOOK Store™ (www.nook.com), while Barnes & Noble College Booksellers LLC operates more than 600 bookstores serving over 4.6 million students and faculty members at colleges and universities across the United States.

Retail Stores
Barnes & Noble stores are open seven days a week, average 25,000 square feet, and feature the best service, depth of selection and comfortable settings, including our Cafés where customers can enjoy delicious food and beverages. Customers can purchase our highly-acclaimed NOOK devices, as well as a wide selection of music, DVD and newsstand titles. 

Internet
Barnes & Noble’s online channel, BN.com, offers the largest in-stock selection of in-print book titles with access to approximately one million titles for immediate delivery, supplemented by more than 30 million listings from its nationwide network of out-of-print, rare and used book dealers. BN.com offers its customers fast delivery, easy and secure ordering, and rich editorial content.

Digital
In October 2012, Barnes & Noble, Inc. and Microsoft announced the completion of their previously announced strategic partnership in NOOK Media LLC, the recently formed Barnes & Noble subsidiary and a leader in the emerging digital reading and digital education markets. Microsoft made its $300 million investment in NOOK Media LLC at a post-money valuation of $1.7 billion in exchange for an approximately 17.6% equity stake, with Barnes & Noble owning the remaining 82.4% shares.

Microsoft and Barnes & Noble’s strategic partnership in NOOK Media LLC enables the companies to advance world-class digital reading experiences to the hundreds of millions of customers they jointly serve. NOOK Media LLC comprises the digital and College businesses of Barnes & Noble and continues to have a very close and mutually beneficial relationship with Barnes & Noble’s retail stores.

In July 2009, Barnes & Noble launched the world's largest eBookstore (now known as our NOOK Bookstore™).  In October 2009, Barnes & Noble introduced NOOK®, the the first Android-based eBook Reader. Now known as NOOK 1st Edition™, it was the first eBook Reader to feature a color touchscreen for navigation and the first to offer digital lending of a wide selection of NOOK Books™ to help customers share their joy of reading. One year later, the company launched NOOK Color™, the first full-color touch Reader’s Tablet™. NOOK Simple Touch™ was introduced in May 2011.  With a full touchscreen, the device features record-setting, extra-long battery life on the easiest-to-use, ultra-light, portable 6-inch eReader with the most-advanced E Ink Pearl display. In November 2011, Barnes & Noble launched NOOK Tablet, at that time the company’s fastest and lightest tablet with the best in entertainment. 

In April 2012, Barnes & Noble resolved the number-one problem couples have in bed – having their sleep interrupted, or being prevented from falling asleep, when their partner reads with the light on – with the launch of NOOK Simple Touch™ with GlowLight™, the world’s first E Ink® Reader that lets you read in the dark. Like having two Readers in one, the device is equally amazing at the beach, with a paper-like reading experience, even in the bright sun. And in September 2012, Barnes & Noble launched NOOK HD and NOOK HD+, the lightest HD and full HD tablets. The super-fast and lightweight 7-inch NOOK HD and 9-inch NOOK HD+ feature must-see displays for superior reading and entertainment and an instantly personalized tablet experience for each family member.

Barnes & Noble College Booksellers
In October 2012, Barnes & Noble, Inc. and Microsoft announced the completion of their previously announced strategic partnership in NOOK Media LLC, which comprises the College business. Barnes & Noble College operates more than 600 college bookstores on college and university campuses in 50 states, serving over 4.6 million students and more than 250,000 faculty.

Publishing
In January 2003, Barnes & Noble acquired Sterling Publishing, which has been in business for more than 60 years and has more than 5,000 titles in print, including educational resources, children’s picture books, puzzles and games, adult fiction, craft and photography, cookbooks, self-help and classics. Sterling Publishing is based in New York City with a crafting division, Lark Books, located in Asheville, North Carolina.