Barnes & Noble Launches National Children’s Short Story Contest
Fifteen Entrants to be Published in a Book with Proceeds Going to Charity
New York, NY – April 28, 2020 – Barnes & Noble, Inc., the world’s largest retail bookseller, is pleased to announce its first National Children’s Short Story Contest for young storytellers and promising wordsmiths! Barnes & Noble is calling on children ages 6-12 to share their original short stories for a chance to be published in a book as well as receive a signed edition book from bestselling author Gail Carson Levine.
“We believe in the power of stories to inspire and bring joy, particularly in challenging times such as the one we’re living in now,” said Jackie De Leo, Vice President and General Merchandise Manager of Bookstore at Barnes & Noble. “Our Children’s Short Story Contest was created to be a fun and motivating outlet for young writers to share their work. We can’t wait to see the submissions, and although we can’t share all of them, we’re looking forward to publishing some budding authors in a book to be showcased by Barnes & Noble.”
Parents or legal guardians can submit on BN.com. Fifteen select entrants will be published in a book sold exclusively at Barnes & Noble this holiday season, with proceeds going to charity. The fifteen winners and fifteen runners-up will also get a signed book from bestselling author Gail Carson Levine, who will be writing a forward to the published book.
“We’re so thrilled to be partnering with Gail Carson Levine on this project as she is an author and writing teacher who shows kids, and all of us, the magic of stories and storytelling,” De Leo said.
Guidelines for submission are:
- Parents or legal guardians can submit an original written or graphic short story on behalf of children ages 6 – 12 from April 27 through May 29 on BN.com.
- Entries should include the parent or legal guardian’s name, email, and address. Only the child's first name and age should be provided with your entry.
- The work must be an original written or graphic story.
- Suggested word count is 300 - 800 words or 4 pages of a graphic story (black & white).
- The fifteen winners and fifteen runners-up will get a signed book from bestselling author Gail Carson Levine. Winners and runner-sup will also have the chance to be featured on Barnes & Noble's social channels.
MEDIA INQUIRIES: Email PRelations@BN.com.
About Barnes & Noble
Barnes & Noble, Inc. is the largest retail bookseller in the United States, and a leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products. The Company has over 600 Barnes & Noble bookstores in 50 states, as well as the Nook Digital business and one of the Web’s premier e-commerce sites, BN.com (www.bn.com).