Barnes & Noble Hosts Tabletop Gaming Meet Up at Stores Nationwide on April 30
Barnes & Noble Responds to Customer Demand and Brings an Authentic Gaming Experience to All Stores
Featured Games to Include Popular Selections Qwirkle, Munchkin, Machi Koro, Superfight and Ticket to Ride
New York, NY – April 21, 2016– Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the nation’s largest retail bookseller and a leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, today announced that it will be hosting a Tabletop Gaming Meet Up at all stores nationwide on Saturday, April 30, starting at 4 p.m.. Last month, Barnes & Noble hosted weekly “game gatherings” at select stores across the country. As a result of the huge success of the program, the company is expanding that gaming experience to customers at all of its 640 stores across the country.
“Seeing our customers respond so positively to the game gatherings we hosted at select stores was not only rewarding, but it crystalized what we believed all along: customers in local communities are looking for an alternative evening out. For so many, Barnes & Noble is already a place to meet up, socialize and spend quality time together. Our Tabletop Gaming Meet Up is designed to do all that and more,” said Kathleen Campisano, Vice President, Toys & Games at Barnes & Noble. “We will feature a unique array of games that celebrate collaboration, encourage strategic thinking and even provide a little healthy competition.”
Customers are encouraged to visit their local store and participate in Barnes & Noble’s first-ever Tabletop Gaming Meet Up, whether they are looking for an alternative to a typical evening out, an activity for the whole family to enjoy, or simply the opportunity to meet new people in a fun way.
“The tabletop gaming industry has always had a wide appeal to Americans as a fun, engaging pastime, but we see Barnes & Noble’s entry into events and gatherings as a game changer,” said Andrew Lupp of the gaming industry organization, PSI. “Few retailers can offer a store environment that’s already tailor-made for gaming. Barnes & Noble has always had a fantastically curated selection of games. Now they’re creating the social experience and building new communities to bring these games to many more gamers around the country.”
Featured games will represent a leading assortment from Barnes & Noble’s vast selection, including:
- Machi Koro- The Japanese card game that is sweeping the world. A fast-paced, light-hearted game for up to three players, with the goal of building the city of Machi Koro (in less than 30 minutes!).
- Superfight- A hilarious card game based on fights between characters with superpowers and super problems. Players create fighters from these cards, then argue with one another over who would win in a fight!
- Ticket to Ride- A cross-country train adventure game. Players collect train cards that enable them to claim railway routes connecting cities throughout North America. The longer the routes, the more points they earn. Additional points come to those who can fulfill their destination tickets by connecting two distant cities, and to the player who builds the longest continuous railway.
- Munchkin- The mega-hit card game about dungeon adventure, with no role-playing. Players can compete to kill monsters and grab magic items.
- Qwirkle- A game that is as simple as matching colors and shapes, but also requires tactical maneuvers and well-planned strategy. Players can earn points by building rows and columns of blocks that share a common shape or color.
Participants will have the chance to play against each other to win prizes, including a Machi Koro Diamine Promo Card Pack, a Qwirkle Brainteaser Book, Superfight Promo Card Sets, and more. Customers should contact their local store to find out the full list of prizes available.
Each game will be available to play starting at 4:00 p.m. Participants are encouraged to take fun photos of themselves while gaming and upload to their social media channels using the special hashtag, #BNGameNight. For more information on the event, customers can visit the Barnes & Noble Blog.
About Barnes & Noble
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS) is a Fortune 500 company, the nation’s largest retail bookseller, and a leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products. The Company operates 640 Barnes & Noble bookstores in 50 states, and one of the Web’s premier e-commerce sites, BN.com (www.bn.com). The Nook Digital business offers a lineup of popular NOOK® tablets and eReaders and an expansive collection of digital reading and entertainment content through the NOOK Store®. The NOOK Store features more than 4 million digital books in the US (www.nook.com), plus periodicals and comics, and offers the ability to enjoy content across a wide array of popular devices through Free NOOK Reading Apps™ available for Android™, iOS® and Windows®.
General information on Barnes & Noble, Inc. can be obtained by visiting the Company's corporate website at www.barnesandnobleinc.com.
Barnes & Noble®, Barnes & Noble Booksellers®, Barnes & Noble.com® and Discover Great New Writers® are trademarks of Barnes & Noble, Inc. or its affiliates. NOOK® and the NOOK logos are trademarks of Nook Digital, LLC or its affiliates.
For more information on Barnes & Noble, follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr, and like us on Facebook. For more information on NOOK, follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook.