Barnes & Noble is proud to sponsor a comprehensive and competitive benefit program that provides eligible employees with several options so you can choose the best coverage to meet the needs of you and your family. Whether you’re working in one of our retail stores or corporate offices, there’s a benefit for you.
Many benefit programs are available to both full-time and part-time employees. Your spouse or domestic partner and your children are eligible for coverage under many programs too. We offer one of the most generous 401(k) plans in the country. And, we provide our employees with a significant discount on the products we sell in our stores and online at BN.com, including savings on our NOOKŪ line of readers and tablets and accessories, all available on your first day of hire.
- Medical Plan – Our plan offers a choice between an exclusive provider option (EPO) that provides benefits when in-network providers are used and a preferred provider option (PPO) that allows participants a choice of using network or non-network providers. Coverage is higher and out-of-pocket costs are lower when preferred providers are used, but booksellers are free to choose non-network doctors and facilities. Both options cover routine preventive care at 100%.
- Dental Plan – The plan covers preventive visits at 100%, and also covers basic and major dental services.
- Flexible Spending Account – Employees can use this account to pay many out-of-pocket health care costs and save money at the same time by using before-tax earnings.
Everyone deserves a break, and we encourage employees to take advantage of our paid time off policies, which include personal days, vacation and six paid holidays.
Full-time and part-time employees are eligible for personal days after six months. You may take one personal day in the first year of employment and two personal days in subsequent years.
Paid vacation time is also provided to full-time and part-time staff. You may take one week of vacation after six months. After that, annual vacation time is based on length of service starting at two weeks of vacation after one year with us.
Building Financial Security
- 401(k) Savings Plan – After 1,000 hours of service, our plan matches your savings dollar for dollar, up to 4% of earnings. Even better, the company contribution is yours to keep. You must be at least age 18 to participate.
- Our paid sick day policy and short- and long-term disability plans provide valuable protection if you are unable to work due to illness or injury.
- Barnes & Noble provides basic life insurance equal to annual earnings to full-time and part-time employees. You can choose additional coverage of one, two or three times earnings. Coverage for your spouse or domestic partner and children is also available. The business travel plan provides additional coverage when your job requires you to travel.
- Our continuing education program offers full-time booksellers tuition assistance if you choose to further your business career by taking courses toward a job-related degree.
- You can also increase your product knowledge or read for fun through our book loan program, which is available for both hard copies of books and NOOK Books™.
Rounding out our benefit program, we also offer competitive programs for:
- Transit benefits
- Discounts on purchases of electronics, flowers and banking services
- Convenient direct deposit of your pay